- GENERAL DENTAL TREATMENT
Dental examinations and oral dental hygiene
Preventative care is one of our core principles, which is why all dental examinations, check ups and oral hygiene treatments (including scale and polish) are always performed by one of our dentists.
This allows your dentist extra time to spot any potential issues as they perform the cleaning treatment.
In addition to discussing any concerns you may have or symptoms you may be experiencing, we perform a detailed examination to assess your general oral and dental health and identify any potential problems.
This will typically include:
- Looking at your face and neck to check they are healthy
- Feeling under your jaw to check your lymph nodes
- Looking inside your mouth, at your tongue, the inside of your cheeks, the roof of your mouth and your throat to check they are healthy
- Checking your teeth and gums for signs of gum disease, tooth damage or decay
- Comparing the condition of your teeth to the last time we saw you
- Deciding whether we need more information, for example by taking an x-ray
- Explaining any treatment you may need, either to resolve current symptoms or as a preventative measure
Oral hygiene treatment
Having your teeth professionally cleaned on a regular basis is an important part of preventing gum disease and tooth decay.
Over time, a substance called “plaque” builds up on your teeth and hardens to form “tartar”, which brushing alone cannot completely eliminate. Plaque is made up of bacteria which feed from the sugars found in food and drink, producing acid as a by-product. The acid attacks the surface of your teeth which can result in tooth decay. If plaque is left untreated, the bacteria can also cause gum disease.
We carry out two procedures:
Scale: using an ultra sonic scaler which produces a stream of oscillating water, we remove the build up of plaque and tartar from your teeth.
Polish: by applying a special polishing compound after scaling your teeth, we are able to remove stains caused by things like coffee, tea or wine, and make it harder for plaque to reform on your teeth.
What are the benefits of scaling and polishing ?
- Regular scaling and polishing promote healthier teeth and gums and make it easier for you to keep your teeth clean at home.
- If your gums bleed when you brush your teeth, you may have early gum disease. Regular scaling helps to prevent gum disease getting worse.
- Regular scaling, combined with brushing your teeth thoroughly at home, can help prevent bad breath caused by bacteria or gum disease.
We highly recommend the use of an electric toothbrush equipped with a timer to care for your teeth between visits to the dentist.